This is another recipe from my grandma's Algeria cookbook. For more information on couscous, see the Couscous Algerois recipe.
- 1 kg rolled couscous (or equivalent amount of instant couscous)
- 1 1/2 kg leg of lamb or mutton
- 2 onions
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup Smen (I don't know what smen is – use butter)
- Black pepper
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup pralines
- a handful of hard candies
- "silver balls" decorative candies
- orange blossom water
- Heat the meat, cut into serving pieces, for five minutes in oil and smen with the chopped onion, pepper, cinnamon and salt.
- Add 1 liter (1 quart) of water and let cook
- Steam the couscous over the broth (or: prepare couscous according to directions on box)
- Butter the couscous with 3 tbsp of smen
- Skim the fat from the sauce and mix it into the couscous
- Flavor with orange blossom water
- Mound the couscous on a silver platter and garnish with meat and sliced eggs
- Sprinkle with raisins, pralines, hard candies, and silver balls
- In season, accompany this with small plates of seedless grapes, watermelon, or melon.
This recipe was submitted by Annie on January 29, 2005.