A healthier alternative to white bread
- 3 cups warm water
- 2 packages yeast
- 1/4c sugar
- 3 tea salt
- 2 tbl canola oil
- 6 cups unbleached flour
- 3 tbl wheat germ
- 1/2 cup soy flour
- 3/4 cup dry milk
- Mix first five ingredients together and let stand
- Stir together second four ingredients in a seperate bowl.
- Stir liquid mixture together, and add 1/2 the dry mixture. Beat vigorously.
- Add reminder of dry mixture. Work the dough by hand for five minutes or so, until the mixture becomes more firm.
- Turn onto floured board, and knead, adding 1-3 cups more flour as needed, dough should be smooth. About 8-10 minutes.
- Place in an oiled bowl, grease top of dough lightly. Let rise for about an hour, til the dough doubles in size.
- Punch dough down, flip it over, and let it rise again, until it doubles in size.
- Turn onto board and divide the dough into 2 portions
- Fold each portion into a tight ball. Oil baking pans, and let the dough rise for about 10 minutes.
- Place into loaf pan, let rise for another 45 minutes.
- bake in a 350 oven for 50-60 minutes. Loaves are done when they sound hollow when tapped.
This recipe was submitted by Everard on October 2, 2005.