Yummy and cheesy, a delicious way to use up stale bread.
(Adapted from several online strata recipes.)
- 1 1/3 stale baguettes, cubed (other stale bread may be used)
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. package of sliced mushrooms
- 6 oz. Tofurkey sausages, sliced
- 4 c. milk
- 8 eggs (or equivalent amount of egg substitute)
- garlic and onion powder
- hot sauce OR black pepper
- 1 T. spicy mustard
- Arrange half of bread cubes to cover bottom of a greased 9×12 pan.
- Cover with cheddar cheese.
- Follow with layer of mushrooms (or substitute other vegetables to taste).
- Add second half of bread cubes, followed by mozzarella cheese.
- Arrange sausage slices evenly, embedded slightly in cheese.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs. Mix in spices (to taste) and mustard.
- Add milk gradually, and mix well.
- Pour liquid mixture evenly over layers in pan.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Place in refrigerator and allow to chill [b]at least[/b] 15 minutes — several hours or overnight is better.
- Bake at 350 for 60 minutes (covered). Remove foil and bake another 15-20 minutes, until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
This recipe was submitted by rivka on February 1, 2005.