I've been making this sauce for over 20 years. You can substitute ground ginger and dried garlic if you must, but the results will suffer. This recipe is enough for a dip for egg rolls or won tons. For sweet & sour pork or chicken, I triple the recipe.
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 TBSP corn starch
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup chicken stock, or one bouillon cube dissolved in one cup boiling water
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Mix brown sugar and corn starch in small sauce pan until well blended. Add all the rest of the ingredients and heat over medium heat until thick.
This recipe was submitted by maui babe on January 24, 2005.