My favourite dry spice rub for pork – it suits the flavour perfectly and makes the crackling extra special.
Can be used on any other kind of meat roast with success.
- Salt (Rock or Salt if possible)
- Whole Star Anise
- Whole Fennel Seeds
- Pork Leg (if you wish to use the rub on it), or some other meat roast.
- Place spices in mortar and pestle – equal proportions of star anise and fennel seeds, twice as much salt.
- Pound. The finished mixture should be a mixture of fine and coarse, with all three flavours well integrated.
- Rub spice mixture all over meat roast, paying particular attention to crackling in the case of a pork roast. Rub the mixture in well.
- Barbeque/roast meat in your usual method. I suggest a weber kettle, but anything goes.
This recipe was submitted by Imogen on February 2, 2005.