Best darn scallops ever.
- sea scallops, side muscle removed, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened to room temperature.
- 2 teaspoons grape seed oil
- Heat large (enough for scallops to have at least 1" clearance each) pan on high on stove.
- Liberally salt and pepper scallops, both sides.
- Add oil and butter to pan and spread evenly.
- Just as butter starts to smoke, add scallops.
- Wait 90 seconds and flip. DON'T TOUCH BEFORE THEN.
- Cook another 90 seconds, maybe a few seconds more if pan has cooled down.
- Scallops should have crust of sear on each side that does not extend down vertical portions.
This recipe was submitted by rjp on June 2, 2007.