Light, sweet, flourless — lemon meringue pie without the crust.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 c. lemon juice
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 scoop vanilla sugar (OR 1 t. vanilla extract)
- 2 T. potato starch
- 2 T. water
- Preheat oven to 275F.
- Beat egg whites and 1 T. lemon juice at high speed until stiff.
- Continue beating at low speed, gradually adding the vanilla and 1 1/2 c. sugar. Beat until glossy and smooth.
- Dust two pie pans with potato starch; cover as completely as possible with a thin layer of starch.
- Spread meringue evenly into the two pans, smoothing tops.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, whisk together egg yolks, 1/2 c. sugar, water, remaining lemon juice, and 1 T. potato starch.
- Cook (over low flame OR in microwave) until thickened, stirring often. Cool.
- When meringues are done, cool, then remove carefully from pans.
- Place one on serving plate.
- Spread lemon filling, then top with second meringue.
- Optional: Serve with sliced fruit.
This recipe was submitted by rivka on April 2, 2007.