A very tasty, Indian flat bread. Most recipes call for oven cooked but we fry in here. 🙂
- 2 cups all purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt (about one teaspoon)
- 1 pinch of sugar (about one teaspoon)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 3 teaspoons milk (approximate)
- 1/2 cup water
- Mix the flour, baking soda and powder, salt and sugar together in a large bowl
- Put the egg, yogurt and milk together and beat (use a whisk if available)
- Add the water and egg-mixture to the flour and mix as much as possible
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and kneed until the dough is firm and elastic (add flour or water as appropriate).
- Let it sit for 30 minutes (this step can be skipped if you're in a hurry)
- Break the dough into 6 equal parts and roll into balls
- Let sit for 5 minutes (this step is also optional)
- Flatten the balls into disks, the flatter the better, but anything between a 5 inch radius and 10 inch seems to work fine
- Put butter (about 1, to 1.5 tablespoons) onto a skillet or frying pan and turn burner to high.
- Once the butter has melted, lay a disk on it.
- Once the edges brown, flip and let simmer for a short period of time.
- Remove and place onto a paper towel (to catch excess oil).
- Repeat this process, adding butter as necessary.
- Enjoy! 😀
This recipe was submitted by Hobbes on February 24, 2005.