My favorite Christmas cookie ever. I always liked spicedrops better than gumdrops. To make cutting the gumdrops easier, you can divide out 1/4 cup of the flour, flour some kitchen shears, and toss gumdrops with the reserved flour as they are cut to keep them from sticking to everything. Then just mix the flour and gumdrops in together where it says to add the oats, coconut, and gumdrops. Makes about 5 to 6 dozen.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup gumdrops (or spicedrops), cut into small pieces (usually quarters)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Thoroughly cream shortening and sugars.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Sift flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture.
- Add oats, coconut, and gumdrops.
- Drop by teaspoonful onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes.
This recipe was submitted by ketchupqueen on February 2, 2005.