I have no idea who Emily was, but it's been in the family for a long time. My mom used to make this whenever we had an excess of brown bananas. Even yummier than banana bread! If you wish, you can frost with cream cheese frosting, but it's wonderful as is, especially hot from the oven with milk.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground mace
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3 Tbsp. sour milk (if you don't have sour milk, mix a few drops of vinegar with fresh milk)
- 1 cup brown, over-ripe bananas, mashed (3 or 4)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar in mixer.
- Beat in eggs.
- Add flour, salt, and mace slowly as you beat.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into greased, lightly floured pan and bake about 30-35 minutes, or until cake is golden-brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
This recipe was submitted by ketchupqueen on February 2, 2005.