I usually make this in a pie pan and it serves 4-6 people, depending on how hungry you are and what you serve it with. You can double the amounts and make it in a 9×13 for a larger group.
- ? cup flour
- salt & pepper
- 1 egg
- ? c milk
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 3 T basil
- 2 T oregano
- 1 T thyme
- 2 cups Marinara Sauce
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 small (if you get the fatter kind) or 2 (of the longish kind) eggplant
- ? c grated mozzarella (optional)
- Arrange three small bowls, one with the flour, salt, and pepper, one with the egg and milk, and one with the bread crumbs and seasonings.
- Slice eggplant and dip into the flour mixture, then the egg & milk, then the crumbs.
- Arrange a layer of breaded eggplant in the bottom of a greased pie pan. Slices should overlap at the edges, but no slice should be completely covered by another slice.
- Spread a layer of marinara sauce over the top and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Repeat, layering eggplant, sauce, and cheese until you run out or overflow your pan.
- Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes until the eggplant in the center is tender.
- If you choose to use the mozzarella, sprinkle it over the top when the eggplant is almost done, and bake until it?s melted and just starting to brown.
This recipe was submitted by dkw on July 15, 2006.