You can make as much of this soup as you like, and it's simple. It's akin to the famous 4B's tomato soup, but I don't think 4B's has much national acclaim.
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Melt butter on medium high in the bottom of your soup pot
- Add mashed garlic
- Add flour, whisking, until it's almost crumbly but not quite
- Cook this roux until it's golden brown
- Whisk in milk – whisk, whisk, whisk! Don't leave lumps!
- Turn heat to low – stir constantly so you don't scorch the milk
- Add cans of tomatoes, juice and all
- Add salt and garlic powder to taste
- Serve as-is, or put in crockery soup bowls with cheese on top and melt in the broiler. Eat with crusty toast.
This recipe was submitted by Annie on January 29, 2005.