A moist, flavorful bread, good for dessert, snack, or with a meal.
- 1 cub sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put raisins in saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to boil, simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Stir shortening to soften in large mixing bowl.
- Gradually add sugar to shortening, creaming until light.
- Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- Mix together dry ingredients in separate bowl.
- Alternate adding dry ingredients and applesauce to creamed mixture, beating after each addition.
- Drain raisins and stir into mixture.
- Pour in 9 1/2 x 5 x 3 loaf pan.
- Bake about 1 hour until bread springs back when lightly pressed.
- Cool 10 minutes and remove from pan.
This recipe was submitted by rjp on August 21, 2005.