An interesting variation. Strain the applesauce through a strainer or cheesecloth or you will have too much liquid in it. Tastes rather German, and goes wonderfully with any kind of potatoes.
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp. fresh or dried minced onion
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 3/4 cup dry oatmeal (rolled oats)
- 1 cup strained unsweetened applesauce
- 1 pared apple, cut in thin rings (or thin slices if you don't care how it looks); tart is best
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/8-1/4 tsp. cloves
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Heat oven to 350 deg.
- Combine all main ingredients for meatloaf and pack down into a greased loaf pan.
- Press apple rings into top of loaf
- Mix brown sugar, cloves, and water to make a glaze.
- Brush glaze on top of meatloaf.
- Bake 1 hour 15 min., draining off liquid and fat once or twice during that time if necessary.
- Let stand at least 5 min. before serving.
This recipe was submitted by ketchupqueen on February 8, 2005.