Flourless almond cookies. Chewy goodness that's a breeze to make.
(Adapted/simplified from a recipe from the L.A. Times — the original had cherries.)
- 1 lb. blanched almonds (~3 c.)
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 scoop vanilla sugar (or: 1 T. vanilla extract)
- 3 egg whites
- In food processor, grind almonds with sugar and vanilla sugar to fine meal.
- Pour egg whites across top.
- Process until mixture comes together and forms a ball. (If it seems too dry, add a T. of water.)
- Moisten your hands, and form cookies (slightly flattened spheres) about the size of a walnut.
- Wet hands each time they get sticky — about every five cookies or so. (You can use two spoons to shape them, if you prefer.)
- Place on a foiled cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 about 35 minutes, until delicately browned.
- Cool in pans until fully set, and then complete cooling on racks.
This recipe was submitted by rivka on April 29, 2005.